Monday, August 6, 2012

Slave Labour with a Smile


At our house we are a bit OTT on the technology buzz...its probably fair to call us 'Apple Sluts' due to the amount of Apple products we own and worship. 3 iphones, an ipod, an ipod touch, ipod shuffle, ipad and 3 Mac Lappys take up a pretty decent chunk of our lives. Whilst spending quality time on one of the above mentioned Laptops (my one..shes white and matches my phone), I came across the most fabulous app on iTunes called 'You Rule Chores'.  Perfect for kids aged 5-11. Best $5.29 I've ever spent. It's basically a way of my dream of becoming a 'Traveller' Mother (minus the caravan, 8 kids and the bright sequined wardrobe) to be a reality.

 
How it works is you add in different daily jobs for the kids which when completed give them cyber coins, they choose a pretty funky avatar which powers up after so many jobs are done and then it's a race to the weekly finish line...nothing like a bit of sibling competition to get my washing folded.
This app is so clever I've got kids begging for more jobs just to click them off on my phone. At the end of the week if they have managed to earn a certain amount of coins, each rugrat gets to choose a reward...lego time with Dad...a trip to the park...an ice cream or more computer time (my kids don't need that one) anything they want really.
This app is getting my bathroom sink cleaned 3 times a week..loads of firewood bought in...washing folded...beds made...school bags unpacked..dishwasher done...rooms cleaned...mental Dogs walked...the list goes on and on. Lots of the jobs are standard ones they do anyway but now they get virtual coins for it.  All I have to do is sit back throw in a "good job" every now and then..referee a couple of fights over who's turn it is to use my phone to click off their jobs and while all my housework is being done and my children are practising their skills to go work in a sweat shop, I can get back to saving up for my 15 yr olds wedding dress, all from the safety and comfort of my couch

4 comments:

  1. Sounds brilliant. What a shame it is not available on Android.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this kind of training the 15 yr old is gonna make a fantastic gypsy wife! got any of those roaming around your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. he he... I neeeeeed an iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, how I wish mine were young enough to fall for it! Avatars just ain't gonna cut it anymore with my lot of ungrateful Mac users!!!

    ReplyDelete